Discuss the following questions during Family Meal and Discipleship Group (see How To Use This Booklet).
In a shocking series of events, Jesus had risen from the dead after being executed on the Roman cross. Over the course of forty days, Jesus physically appeared to various disciples, proving to them that he was truly alive. On the last day Jesus spent on planet earth, he calls them into the greatest mission of all time. He tells his disciples in Acts 1:8,
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
- Why do you think Jesus told them to wait on the power of the Holy Spirit before they went out on mission?
- By telling them to be witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and the ends of the earth, Jesus was showing them that the mission is local and global. They were to be witnesses in their city, their region, neighboring regions, and to all the earth.
- What is your Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, end of the earth? How has God called you to be on mission locally and globally?
- Do you tend to focus on the local mission or the global mission? What comes easiest for you? Where do you need to grow?
Prayer: Spend some time together praying for the local mission and the global mission. Pray for specific friends and family to know and meet Jesus.
One of the most important first steps in living on mission is to identify your core three people. These are three non-Christians within your sphere of influence for whom you will commit to pray for and engage in intentional gospel relationships. These people could be your children, family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, or others.
- Discuss in your group your core three people (or who these people should be). How are you currently engaging them?
- Sometimes there are areas of sin in our life that can hold us back from living on mission. Where do you need the grace of God in your life to repent and change so you can better live on mission with your three core people?
Prayer: Spend some time together praying for your core three people.
Record any insights from family meal and/or discipleship groups...