Discuss the following questions during Family Meal and Discipleship Group (see How To Use This Booklet).
The Mission of God impacts every part of our lives, including our finances and possessions. In this passage, we get a glimpse into the financial generosity and unity within the Church of Jerusalem. They radically provided for the needs of others, even at great cost to themselves.
- If your house was on fire and all your family was safe, what one thing would you grab? Why?
In Acts 4:32, we read,
Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common.
- What drove the disciples to sell their homes and have such a radical view of their possessions?
Again, in Acts 4:34-35, it says,
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.
- As you read this passage, what excites you? What makes you feel nervous?
- Are there any needs in your community group by which you could put radical generosity to practice? Make a plan to meet those needs.
Prayer: Spend some time together praying that God would give us the same heart of generosity to meet the needs of those among us.
- Out of their abundance, the disciples gave to those in need among them. Name a time when God blessed you financially. How did you give (or not give) in light of that?
- All of our possessions and money belong to God. He is generous to us, fueling our radical generosity. How are you doing in this area?
- What fears and insecurities do you have in regards to finances? What do these things tell us about where your hope is?
- One of the biggest lessons we can learn from the early Church is that those in need actually communicated their need and were willing to receive help. Are there any needs you have for which you need to ask for help?
Prayer: Spend some time together praying that God would loosen our grip on our possessions so that we could be generous stewards.
Record any insights from family meal and/or discipleship groups...